My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Health update....... Lots of "Ouches".

I have been extremely blessed to have not needed to see my oncologist only once so far in the past three and a half months.  I see her again in a couple of weeks, which I am sure she will get me another cat scan appointment.  It will have been 4 months by then.

I don't know if  it is the length of  time spent on chemo, or if my cancer is getting worse.  I only know that I am feeling much more affected by the chemo.  My poor tongue feels like it has been badly burnt, everywhere.  It is so hard to chew anything crunchy or anything chewy.  Anything remotely spicy or hotter than very lukewarm sends me through the roof. I feel like I have to chew like I am a child learning how to chew solid food.  I have to gingerly move the food around in my mouth and I feel self conscious now of people watching me eat.

Yesterday and today have been crippling.  The bottoms of my feet hurt enough that I can't walk well. I have had to wear socks the last few months around the house from the tenderness of my feet, but now it seems nothing seems to help.  My palms also have gotten more severe, and there are quite a few things I can't do now with my hands.  It has been frustrating.

I also have felt very very tired.  By noon some days, I am ready for a nap, and I feel a dramatic difference in my strength.  I feel weak.  I am having a harder time lately.

My blood pressure has gotten really high the last few weeks, which has made it necessary to find me another family doctor to replace our previous one who died the end of December.

I have looked forward for conference to buoy me up.  I don't want to complain and be a Debbie Downer.  That is for sure.  If I start acting like that, will somebody kick my butt!

Hey....a good thing though!  My hair is growing more, but because of the curls, it looks shorter.  But as soon as it gets warmer, I may try to go out with no hat or wig.  I was able to color it darker so it isn't white (or orange) and it looks thicker now.  The top front is still really sparse.  But getting hair back is making me happy.

2 comments:

  1. I will be home in June!! We can do something fun, and eat something cool or cold! I will drive you around...we will have a great time! Hang in there, sweetie. You are doing great! And just so you know...I have to have naps some days also. Naps rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those side effects sound terrible but you still have such a positive attitude! I hope that chemo is kicking that cancer to the curb! Hang in there Terry Lynn! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete