My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I am NOT going to define me as the lady with cancer

I have realized something I really don't like that I do.  It dawned on me a few days ago. I define myself as "Terry Lynn Warner who has Cancer".  I have lost my identity.  I may have cancer, but why do I define myself as that?  I know it is the focal part of my life, like it or not.  But why does it define me?  Is that what I am known for now?  Poor Terry Lynn who has cancer?" I don't want people to define me as that.  But first of all, I have to quit thinking that way!!!!!!

I am Terry Lynn Thatcher Warner.  I grew up in Payson, Utah and lived on a farm. I am the oldest of three brothers and a sister.   I had / have a loving family growing up and I loved life to it's fullest.

 I went to Weber State where I met the love of my life.   We dated for a little over a year when we got married in the Provo Temple. I was very young when I got married.  Only 19 years old. We started our family quickly, and I became a mom, 10 months later.

We had three more children by the time I was 27 years old, which was when my mother died.  We had lots of struggles with health issues with each of our children during our years of marriage but had what I felt was a happy life.

I have loved  my callings in the church.  Especially with the youth.  I knew that was my forte.

We have now been married 41 years, and life only gets better, believe it or not.  Cancer or not.  I look into eternity a lot now and imagine Kim and My future on the other side of the veil.  I want our children there with us living on the same street and our grandchildren.  I love them with all of my heart.

I love the Savior.  I know He has walked with me many, many times during my life and He has never abandoned me.  Sometimes He carries me instead of walks beside me I think.

This is who Terry Lynn Thatcher Warner is.  I am not the lady/neighbor/ friend who has cancer.  I may have cancer, but I will not define myself as that anymore.  There is more to me than that, so I need to act like that.  I am putting the blame on myself.  Not on anyone else, but sometimes I do think the new people in my neighborhood only know me by the lady with cancer.  Now you know the first of the story.

1 comment:

  1. All those things you stated are true, however, you are a person of example, a leader, one who is caring, and thoughtful. TL everyone around you looks up to you, as a sister, mother, wife, and friend. Everyone who you have come in contact with, loves you. Thanks for being my wonderful older sister.

    ReplyDelete