My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Monday, March 21, 2016

My first Infusion day at Huntsman

My first time hooked up to my infusion.  For the first time, I got to use "Lucy", my port. (St. Lucia is my favorite port.  Lucy for short).   I have had her for almost 3 years and finally get to keep her busy!

Two necklaces from Shane he wanted me to be sure and wear during my infusion.  The kids birthstones on the round one.
 
 
Oh, what a week last week was.  My infusion was set for 2 different days, and then the last minute the night before, I would get a call telling me never mind.  My infusion drug hadn't come yet.  When it happened the second time, I told my nurse that a lot of planning had gone into making it possible for us to make that appointment and mentally it is hard to gear up for something unfamiliar and new and then have the rug pulled out from under me the night before.  She knew I was not happy about it.  I hung up the phone and called Kim at work and I started crying I was so upset.  They wanted me to come almost another week later.  After trying to make that schedule happen and now it was cancelled, Kim asked for the phone number and the person he was supposed to call.  He called, and he told them exactly how he felt about it all and calling the last second and how hard it was for me to keep revamping my mind and how hard it was to have that appointment canceled after trying to make it work with our schedules. He told them that for such a classy place as Huntsman, that we were not impressed so far.  WOW, DID THAT PHONE CALL CHANGE THE EVENTS OF THINGS!!!!

Within 5 minutes of Kim's phone call, I all of a sudden became their #1 priority in the infusion department, and magically........ my infusion drug arrived......in that 5 minute time!  They told me that I could come in that afternoon or tomorrow.  Really?  How did that all of a sudden work out?

I had to quickly make plans to get a ride to Huntsman the following day and Kim would meet me there after work.  I called them and they told me that I could come at any time I wanted since I was high priority.  My infusion room was a private room with a bed in it.  Most people were in "pods" as they call them in a huge room.  Here we are in a private room!!  Even the Doctor came to the infusion floor just to meet with me.  That doesn't happen on Fridays, but he did. I was treated like royalty!!!

I realize now that infusion day will last several hours, so I need to prepare for that.  They want me to have my next one in 2 weeks.

I also found out some not so good news.  My doctor told me 1 in 4 this drug will work on.  But the one its works on, it works really good.  If it doesn't work, he will try something else.  I WILL BE THE ONE!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. Blood results told us my husband had cancer. After several botched and extremely painful biopsies he refused to try again. As a last resort he called Huntsman, after my pleading for him to try just once more. The woman who answered his call said to please not give up. Within 15 minutes the head of the oncology department called my husband and convinced him to give Huntsman a chance to help him. He told him exactly what he needed to do step by step, test by test to figure out the best outcome for his particular cancer. If that doctor had not taken time to make that call I would be a widow now. Every appointment has not gone smoothly and there have been some terrible moments as a result of someones actions but I try to remember we are dealing with other human beings and as such imperfect beings they are. I think the hardest thing in medicine is to remember each person is an individual and not the illness or exam they are there for. Unfortunately some healthcare workers forget that very important fact but thank God many do not.

    ReplyDelete