My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hepatoma Cancer- Mayo Clinic- $900- Yikes!

 
Kim and I waiting for the Doctor at my appointment.

Well, as I have said before......this cancer of mine is not going to let us take care of it easily.  In fact, it is so rare/unusual, that my MRI was sent to the Mayo Clinic!!!  That is as high as you can go folks!  I about died when my oncologist told us that yesterday.  But in being sent there, we did find out for sure that what she thought about my cancer, is entirely true. I do have Hepatoma Cancer, which is in the liver.  Here is what I learned yesterday. (Why cant this be easier????)
1.  I will be taking an oral chemo pill twice a day.  Hopefully my body will tolerate it.  If the masses shrink, that is excellent but that means I continue taking it the rest of my life.  I never quit.
2.  If it doesnt work, and I cant tolerate it, I would go on an intervenous chemo which doesn't work as good.
3.  The chemo pill will cost us out of pocket, after our insurance pays, $900 a month.  Our mouths dropped.  That would take our savings in several months.  Not years.....months.
4.  We are now in the process of trying to prove how much Kim gets paid monthly, to show the drug company that we literally can't afford paying that much money on that drug monthly.  I have a lot of papers to fax my doctor office today, they will fax it to the drug company, and if they accept that fact, they will try and find a company to help us out.  Some company who will help share the cost of the drug with us.  If we find a company to help, then when their money runs out, we find another sponser.  Isn't that awful that drug companies know they can charge totally unreasonable amounts because people will pay it when it is life and death situations?  It is a crime I think.
5. My doctor told me I wont lose my hair with this drug!!!  Yea!!
6. The chemo drug is called Nexivar.
7. I can never be cured...(So they say) But I can gain time if Nexivar shrinks what is there.
8.  This cancer will keep a patient looking healthy, and not sick looking for a long time.  But not to be deceived by that.  It is bad. But the fact I am healthy, is a good thing that will help me because I am strong to start with when I begin my chemo therapy.

I can't thank you all enough for your kind comments on this blog, those of you who have helped me with fasting and praying for me.  Those of you who have sent me cards in the mail, have given me love and support when you see me, have dropped off a loaf of bread or cookies, or other caring ways that you have touched me and helped Kim and I.  Each of these things bolsters up my courage and helps me to know that I CAN DO THIS!!! Thank you all!

4 comments:

  1. Terry Lynn I just had to tell you what a positive and peaceful feeling I got when I read your news today....just an assured feeling that everything would be ok just like Kim said :) a positive attitude and a grateful heart can do wonders and you have oodles of both !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me that. It made my day. I love hearing comments like that. Thanks Shelly.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just goes to show that you ARE rare and one in a million :)

    Wow that is super expensive :( How can people afford that? Don't stress about it though because things are going to work out.

    Love you :)

    ReplyDelete