My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Hair, no hair, hats, more hair



 
Well, that day really did come that I hoped would never come.  Over 5 weeks ago I started losing my hair.  Everyday I would get handfuls and find hair all over my pillows, sheets, in the shower drain, sink, bathroom floor, all over the house.  It has been mentally a very hard thing to go through.  I kept wanting to just shave it all off, but I just couldn't do it.  It was like a death to get rid of my hair.  But the mental part of watching my hair disappear daily and cleaning up after it was really getting to me and I finally couldn't do it anymore.  Wednesday, 9/11, I ended that turmoil and now I am at peace with myself.  I had my head shaved. The above picture was taken the day before I did it. I know it probably doesn't look sparse from the picture, but I had a lot of scalp showing.  I was very self conscious about it.  After I had it shaved at the wig shop, I put on my wig and took this other picture of me in the car, and went hat shopping!
Several hats later, I went to McKay Hospital, and through the National Cancer Society, I went wig shopping AGAIN! Only this time, I picked hair that I have never had anything like it before.  I went with black hair!  I couldn't believe I really did that!  That is my adventurous side.  I am not brave enough yet to put a picture of me on this blog, with the black wig on. 
So in the same day, Kim got a bald wife and a black haired wife.  He probably doesn't know what to think!  No, actually he has been so sweet and supportive.  I had them video me cutting my hair off, and I texted the video to him, and later that day he shared with me how emotional it was for him to watch my hair getting shaved.  We both have had a few tears over it, but hey......it's just hair right?  Hopefully it will come back.  There could be a chance it wont all come back. But I'll take what I can get.
 
I have to tell you a funny story with my 5 year old grand daughter Ava.  I was watching her and her little brother Axel while my daughter was at her doctor appointment, and that morning I had had my head shaved.  Ava and I were eating lunch. Here is what happened. 
Me: Ava. Grammy has a surprise to show you.
Ava: What is it Grammy?
I lifted off my wig, and there was my bald head.  Her eyes went huge, and she walked around me to see the back of my head.
Ava:  What happened Grammy?
Me:  Grammy had to have her hair shaved off because it kept falling out all over the house.
Ava: Now will it not be messy?
Me: Nope. It wont be messy any more
Ava: (Handing me back my wig) Here Grammy, hurry and put this back on!!!!
I couldn't stop laughing.  She DID NOT like seeing me bald.  She didn't want us wasting any more time with that wig off!!  That will be a funny memory for me. 

4 comments:

  1. Daww...C'mon...I soooo need a picture of the dark hair!! =D It's no doubt you look as beautiful as your daughters. It's amazing what hair will do, isn't it. Now, if you're really brave, you'll get a bright red or blue wig...you know the color some kids die their hair!! Teehee.

    I absolutely adore you. You radiate pure beauty and light. I love your beautiful eyes...and so glad they got passed down to your sweet grand daughter Ava!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry lynn if you come to church you absolutely need to wear the black hair ! People who don't read your blog will say " who is the beautiful dark mysterious woman sitting by
    Kim Warner!!! I know this whole hair now gone tomorrow is a big challenge for you but you keep plugging away with a tremendous attitude and faith . I admire you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry lynn if you come to church you absolutely need to wear the black hair ! People who don't read your blog will say " who is the beautiful dark mysterious woman sitting by
    Kim Warner!!! I know this whole hair now gone tomorrow is a big challenge for you but you keep plugging away with a tremendous attitude and faith . I admire you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wig but your smile is all I REALLY see! You are still beautiful Terry Lynn!

    ReplyDelete