My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

ER- Hospital stay and Pneumonia

Good grief.  Where do I begin? Through all these new infusion reactions of intense muscle pain, lets add some more things to the pot and stir it all up, why don't we!!!

Kim's birthday was this week and we went away overnight for his birthday Monday night.  We had a great time watching the March madness finals, and just enjoying being away.  The next morning, madness broke out in my body.  At 7:00 am the next morning, I started hurting in my right side, abdomen until it was such gripping pain I actually thought I could pass out.  I was getting nauseous and the pain was so acute and sharp, I couldn't get off the bed nor turn sideways.  Only lay on my back.  Poor Kim had huge concern on his face.  He could tell something was not good.  He called Huntsman and talked to my nurse there and she was concerned because it sounded like it could be appendicitis from where the pain was coming from.  We went right to the emergency room.  I got a CT scan and found out I had three new larger tumors and gall stones.  Now the question was, was I having a gall stone attack, was the pain from the new tumors? Was it my appendix?  What the heck was going on?  I had no fever so more than likely it wasn't my appendix.  After 3 hours in the emergency room I went home to just watch for any fever over 100.4.  If so, I needed to come back.  I was in so much pain and in the evening I took my temperature and it was 101.  We looked at each other, and DID NOT want to have to go back to emergency, but we decided we needed to.

Then every test imaginable was run.  I was in so much pain.  They were concerned that it was gall stones and finally ruled out appendicitis.  Then a test came back showing that I had pneumonia.  At 2:00 in the morning they said that I needed to be admitted.  I can honestly say that that day was one of the worst days of my life.  I had never had that intense pain before.  I truly felt I was dying.  The question was, what was I dying from?

All the way as they were taking me to my room on the floor, I threw up like never before.  I don't even know how many times.  I was sicker than I had ever been.  I literally just wanted to die.  

After more scans and tests, they finally ruled out gall stones as the reason for the intense pain.  It was from the pneumonia is all they could find out.  The three new tumors were probably not helping things either. 

As I laid in the hospital I realized how thankful I was to not have those other possibilities and that I just needed to get better from the pneumonia. I know that I had people from the other side of the veil there cheering me on.  Sometimes in my sickest moments, I would look around the room to see if any of my dead family members were there.  I knew if I could see them, that it was my time, and I was going to tell them to go back!!  I wasn't ready to go "home" yet! 

This all started Tuesday morning and I got home from the hospital Friday night.  I was so glad to be home in my own bed, and not hooked up to all those things anymore.

I did have to come home with oxygen.  I just couldn't get enough oxygen by myself.  I needed the oxygen machine. It didn't take long before home health had it up to our house and installed the machine with a 50 cord to go all over the house.  I sure do feel better breathing with it.  I should only need it till the pneumonia is cleared up and I am breathing better.  What a week this has been for both of us.  We are so glad it is over.  I am just exhausted!

2 comments:

  1. TL so sorry you had such pain !!! Hope you can get back to no oxygen . Quite a pain dragging that cord I know! I am here feeling sorry for myself bcz its been a pretty hard week for me? You are my hero and example ! I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you went through; I had pneumonia as well and I started to pass out from the pain. No one should have to go though intense pain like that. Who knew pneumonia was so painful? I'm happy to see that you're home and feeling better!

    ReplyDelete