My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Letters from my mom...30 years after she passed away.

This is an incredible story! I still can't believe it!

Through all of this cancer stuff, I have really wanted my mom to be near me, and I have wanted to feel her presence some way.  I have felt my dad's presence, but not something extraordinary from mom. There is just something about one's mom that feels so good to have her there when you are feeling down and sick, that I don't think you ever get over. Especially, I know mom knows what I am feeling as I go through all of this cancer stuff, since she died from breast cancer almost 30 years ago from today. I have requested her presence in many prayers.

Last week, out of nowhere, I got a padded envelope in the mail, addressed to me from a cousin of mine whom I haven't seen, nor even knew where she lives for probably 25 years.  As I opened the envelope, out dropped letter after letter in my mother's handwriting that mom had written to her sister while she was going through her cancer.  In fact, the dates of the letters are within 6 months of her death.  One is within 2 weeks.  My cousin does not know that I have cancer, and had no idea how much these letters would mean to me.  She had a whole pile of letters her mother had saved during her life, and these are ones my mother had written her.  My cousin thought I might like them.  LIKE THEM......ARE YOU KIDDING?  I had prayed that my mother was aware of what I was going through, and the timing of these letters coming to me right now was no coincidence! Whatever mom did to my cousin to prompt her to send these to me right now, I may never know, but I intend to find out.

In each of these letters, I felt the letters were meant for me.  She would talk about how she felt from her cancer, and how sick she felt.  She talked about after her mastectomy, how the cancer had spread in other places.  Then I about died when I read, and I quote: "My cancer is progressing and is now in my liver. I am starting to bloat and have tenderness over the liver.  My doctor gives me 4 to 6 months".  Mom died 3 months later. I never knew mom's cancer went into her liver.  And that was my symptom when I first saw my doctor, was the pain of the bloating.

My cousin also had a story that another of my mom's sisters had written about mom.  It was a month before she died.  My aunt flew mom to Portugal where she lived so she could spend some time with her before she passed on.  The letter is an account of mom's last month, and how spoiled she got spending time with my aunt.

Even though these letters were not addressed to me, they were for me.  Right now.  In what I am going through I needed to read in my mothers handwriting, how she felt when she was going through what I am.  This has been a little miracle for me.  I am go grateful to my cousin from some kind of prompting, to send these to me. 

So yes.....I received letters from my mom.  30 years after her death to tell me she loves me and is aware of my struggle.  Thanks mom!  I sure love you and miss you!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! When you texted me and said to read your surprise, I didn't expect this! I thought maybe you bought a puppy... ;)

    This is really awesome! I am so glad that you got these letters! Who sent them to you? Truly inspired for sure! This was just what you needed to lift your spirits on this bad weekend...

    Love, prayers, and positive thoughts are always coming your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Carol Davis . She has no clue what is happening to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again...God works in mysterious ways. What an extraordinary happening! What treasures for you during your illness. Hang in there Terry Lynn. Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ..... that is SO awesome TL your Mom is with you in your struggles very precious words from her I just think that is super great ! Very happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. TL, thanks so much for sharing. I LOVE how God answers our prayers, and know how much He loves all of us. What a wonderful experience for you. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tender mercies and miracles... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TL, when you wanted to know what an image was to think of when taking your medication, I told you to think of Mom holding your hands and helping you fight the fight. Well, she is there, helping you every way she can. This was not an accident, it was a gift from Mom. I love you, Mom loves you, and everyone is here to help you with this fight on both sides of the veil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. In a time when I want so bad to lift and carry you, it seems you are the one lifting me, and the blessing of the Savior lifting us both. What a miracle from God. I love you and I am excited to see you in September!

    ReplyDelete