My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back on Chemo- Back to rash- back to Itching-

My oncologist called me Wednesday evening.  I was really not expecting her to call me after hours.  She had just talked to my dermatologist. With the knowledge she learned from him of my situation and how the  Nexivar, (my chemo) really was the cause of my rash, she still wants me to go back on it. Only one pill a day instead of four.  She is aware I most likely will get the awful rash again, and it could be worse this time. (I can't imagine it being worse but what do I know)?

Knowing these things, she feels I need to go back on it and that the dermatologist will be able to give me some relief for the itching this time around.  The dermatologist  did say he could help with that. That means I most likely will get the moon face from being on prednisone for a length of time and a rash from head to toe, literally. I can't wait!  This time I keep taking the chemo even with the  rash.  I don't go off of it.

I also learned, that there aren't many drugs that help my kind of cancer. I don't have much to choose from. I hadn't been told that before.

I can say this pretty sincerely. When the rash covers my body and face, I will not be going out among  you all. I will hibernate for the up-to-twelve weeks that the rash can last. I looked so bad last time, so I can pretty much  assume how this will play out.

That is the plan as of today.  I will start chemo after I go to my class reunion on Labor Day weekend. I told my doctor that I couldn't go to my reunion covered in red welts. I'll bet everyone reading this wouldn't either.

I don't see family pictures in my near future. Maybe in 2014.

(Also, I truly can't believe how many times this blog has been viewed! It is nearing 5,000! I had a friend ask me how I knew that many people.  I don't! I just have lots of loving people who care to see how I am doing on a regular basis.  Thank you for loving me through this.)


3 comments:

  1. That's like being between a rock and a hard place... let's hope the rash is much less this time around. Good luck with the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rash or no rash you are still awesome! Git yer little rashy butt out to VT to visit me! Big HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your true friends will not care one iota what you look like rash or no rash. I would still rather see you than not. Have a wonderful time at your class reunion

    ReplyDelete