My life changed dramatically on Mother's Day 2013. Three days later I was diagnosed with cancer from my physician. This blog was made to keep my family and friends informed to what has been happening to me the past few weeks. When I find out news from different Doctor's through all of the procedures I have had, so many of you have wanted me to text, email, call, or someway contact you. It humbles me how many of you are concerned. Sometimes I forget to contact some of you. This way, you can stay in touch with what is happening now. Please feel free to comment. I hope I have it set up so you can. If not, I will ask Emily my daughter to help me, since she helped me get this set up.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

First Surgery Down at St. Marks Two more to go.


(Groggy pictures after surgery)
 
What a day. I have so much to tell about it.
 
First and foremost, the surgery mapping was a success.  They didn't have to cut off any blood supply to my liver, which we were told just before the surgery that they may have to do. The two doctors will ponder on the mapping for a couple of days to determine what will happen for the surgery.
 
Today, they went in my groin with a catheter, (which I didn't know would happen on this procedure also).  I was groggy through the whole operation so I could follow commands of: " Take a deep breath.  Let it out and hold your breath and hold very still".  I followed that command about 20 or so times for the next two hours.  In the catheter, they put dye through my veins finding the veins that went into my liver, and not out of my liver.  After the procedure, I had to lie in my bed for 3 hours holding my right leg very straight and not bend it.   I was very glad to get home.  But hearing about my next surgeries...........yes.....more than one more......won't be a walk in the park.
 
My next surgery will be in two weeks.  Not sure which day yet.  They have to order the radiation beads from Australia!  (Seriously?) The radiation beads will be precisely entering into 2 of my tumors in the liver, through the groin in a catheter just like today.   (I guess there are four tumors.  Not 3.) Here is the killer:
 
When I get home.  I have to stay 3 feet away from people for 4 days. Kim and I can't even sleep in the same bed.   I guess I will be lit up like a Christmas tree!!  LOLOLOL  I wont have to put a star on the top of my tree.  Just put me on it!!!! LOLOLOL
 
All silliness aside, the nurse told me as she was wheeling me to the car, that I will need someone with me for 3 days!!! I have no idea why.  And she said, "Give your grand kids loves and kisses before you come to the hospital, because you can't for a few days after."
 
Then a month later, they will do the same procedure again to the other two tumors in the liver.  This doctor was very knowledgeable. He is the only one in the state that used to do this surgery.  Now he has a partner, which I had today.  He came from Huntsman originally, and now is in private practice.
 
So, that is my day.  I haven't needed any pain meds, which I am happy about.  I have to not drive or lift things and take it easy for a few days. 
 
Whew!  One down.  Two to go!
 
Read the post below this.  This is what happened to me on the way to the hospital.   

1 comment:

  1. Terry Lynn- I'm glad to hear that your first procedure went well. The radiation thing sounds crazy but at least you don't have to be quarantined from everyone. You will beat this! I'm sure of it. As for that song resonating in your head...what a nice reminder of your mother watching over you! Take care and be well! Sharon

    ReplyDelete